For the past six weeks, we have been using a new Math curriculum. It started with the middles using it to catch up and get back on track, since I’m trying to homeschool while on bed rest. It literally ended the tears in our homeschool for Mister Mouse. Now, he still resists every now and then, but he doesn’t think he can’t do math anymore. In fact, most of the time he brings me the computer to get started. Miss Priss is still excelling and doing well with her lessons, if we could only get her to slow down – she gets so excited.
Even though we were using another computer based curriculum for our oldest, we decided with a family membership to CTCMath, we would change him over as well. So far, he is doing well. Since all Math curriculum is different, we started with the diagnostic tests to gauge where he should start. He is now in the middle of 6th grade math and doing really well.
We have been honored to have CTCMath as a sponsor this month here at In All You Do. Not only have we found a new math curriculum for life, but it has quite literally changed our homeschool for the better.
What my 10-year old thinks about CTCMath:
- He likes the short lessons – the shorter the better in his opinion.
- The smaller amount of questions – the curriculum he used before had anywhere from 35-50 questions most days. He got frustrated with the amount of time it would take him to complete a lesson and it just seemed like busy-work.
- Step-by-step instructions – According to him, the step-by-step instructions explain things a little better than his other program.
What I love about CTCMath:
- The short lessons – The lessons may be short, but they are concise and do not overwhelm the student, especially those who struggle with math.
- I can set the passing grade – I like that I can set a “passing grade” for each student, so they have to get at least that score to “pass” a lesson. I can also set whether or not they have to pass in order to move on. This allows me to control their learning, without having to stand over them and stare at their every move. It also ensures they are learning each step before moving on being lost later.
- Weekly emails – I love that I can set it to send me weekly updates. This allows me to see their grades and the time logged in each section at a glance. It is also another way I can monitor their progress without having to see their daily work.
- NO GRADING – I can honestly say…I have no idea how public school teachers keep up with grading so many daily papers. I couldn’t do it for just one child, there’s no way I could do it for 25! This program grades immediately and records the scores for me. LOVE IT!!
- Reward Certificates – I love that when they complete a section, they get a certificate that is emailed to me. I can print it out or just save it in my email, but I have it. I do show the kids their certificates when they arrive in my email, which makes them super happy. Mister Bull (10) only cares that he passes, Mister Mouse wants the Gold certificate (awarded for 95% average and up) and Miss Priss wants the Gold one, but is okay so long as she passes. It really doesn’t matter to me that they get perfect scores, what matters is that they’re learning and having fun doing it!
- Access to multiple levels – Whether you pay for an annual, multi-year or lifetime membership, you have access to all levels from Kindergarten to Trigonometry. I like this, because some of my children work faster and this way they can move on when ready and not wait for a new year of curriculum to arrive. Its the perfect fit for a large family.
- Accessible anywhere – If you know your login, you can literally access this program from any computer or tablet. If we ever wanted to do school while visiting family (not likely, but it could happen), we have the ability to do so without dragging a load of books or the computer everywhere.
If you’re looking for a new Math program, I highly recommend trying CTCMath. It has quite literally changed math in our home. We no longer have hour-long battles about doing math. There is very little instruction needed from me, which is good since we are adding another precious little one to our family at the end of summer. And…we can take it anywhere!