I was sitting at our dining room table, long before the sun was up. Spread before me was a Bible, a journal, highlighters and a pencil. A steaming cup of coffee was the only other thing needed for the this quiet moment- my date with Jesus.
It wasn’t but five minutes in when I heard it. A flush up the stairs followed by small feet walking down the stairs. When I turned to look, I saw a sleepy eyed girl still in pj’s clutching her stuffed pig.
I breathed in deep – and got up to make breakfast.
Yes, these are the normal moments for a mom. I have worked hard to try to make time for my personal time with God. It isn’t always easy with little ones – or even big ones. The question I began asking myself is, how can I help them spend time in God’s Word’s so that I also get time with the Lover of my Soul?
One way that I have gained back my time in the Word is by incorporating my daughter into this quiet time. She is older now – and so she knows that when she finds Mommy sitting quietly with her Bible, it is time for her to get her Bible and have some quiet time too.
She will go find her Bible, and bring it to me. Depending on what behaviors or attitudes we are working on trying to character train, or what we have been talking about in our family devotions, I will open one of her Bibles. I usually highlight the passage I want her to read, It is usually just one or two verses. I remind her that whatever we do, we do it for the Lord.
“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17
Then, I have her write scripture while I study scripture.
This practice has several beneficial reasons:
- It helps her hide God’s Word in her heart – We live in a day where the Bible isn’t take very seriously. This gives her time to write out scripture and memorize it. Often, I will have her write a piece of scripture multiple times, in hopes that she will eventually have it memorized and that it will be forever with her, to guide her path.
- It is great handwriting practice– Since we homeschool, this works great for me to use as handwriting!
- It teachers her to spend time in God’s Word every day– Relationships take work and are time commitments- even our relationship with the Lord! I want her to learn early that she needs to spend time in God’s Word each day.
- It is a time of character training – I often use these verses to help work on areas where we are trying to train her. This helps her see its not just mom wanting her to behave a certain way – but that God’s Word says it too!
When she was younger, I would often have her draw a picture of scriptures as I read out loud or do coloring pages that were Bible based. I knew she wanted to be with me – even during my quiet time. These practices have helped teach her to be quiet and still before the Lord, at a very young age.
There is nothing better than seeing her little handwriting pages filled with scripture. It sure makes my Mama heart smile!
Don’t forget to enter our Giveaways!
Mandy Kelly is passionate about two things: The Word of God and the Souls of Men (and Ladies!). She is a married to her best friend, and gets the privilege to love on their three blessings (who lost their biological momma leaving her husband widowed). She loves that the Lord has let her life be an example of delighting in Him and watching Him mold her life to make her desires match His. She spent 9 years in an early childhood classroom, and 4 years in an “in house” seminary program at her home church.She loves to bring God glory through her roles as Christ-follower, Wife and Mother (in that order!)
She enjoys women’s ministry, cooking, crafting, and traveling the world. Her greatest desires are to have her marriage bring God ultimate glory, see her children walk in truth, to lead others to the feet of Jesus, and to lead women into deeper and intimate relationship with their Savior through study of the Word of God. Mandy blogs about living a life of Worship through all aspects of her life at Worshipful Living.
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- The Perfect Tool for Teaching the Scientific Method with Printable Notebook - July 11, 2019
- The Aristocats Movie Study with Printable Pack - July 3, 2019
- Gamer Themed PreK Math Pack - July 2, 2019