When approached by my friend Crystal about doing a link-up on Fridays I thought…“Who? Me? Really? I can’t do this! No way!” Then I remembered why were were doing it – DISCIPLINE. Our word for the year. I commented on her post about choosing this particular word for 2012, in that having already outlined some changes I needed/wanted to make, I wanted to use the same word! And out of that birthed a GREAT idea that will hopefully take-off for us and those of you that want to join us.
52 Fridays to a more disciplined life!! That’s right – every Friday this year we’re going to link to each other with tips, thoughts and our experiences in changing our lives to be more disciplined.
As I began outlining my goals for this year, it hit me that maybe our idea of DISCIPLINE is skewed. Why do we shy away from it and why is it such a “dirty” word? Jesus taught about discipline as well as Noah, Moses, Paul and more. The people in the Old Testament had to be disciplined if they wanted to earn favor with God. So, how have we strayed so far from this practice? I think it has everything to do with the fact that we live in such a fast-paced world that DISCIPLINE takes too much time, effort and energy. So, my goal this year is to change that perception within me (and others) to show just how great of a word it can be.
So, for Week 1 I’m posting my goals (broken down, of course, into manageable feats). Now, these may change or evolve as the year progresses, but this is where I am today.
- Intentional, DAILY quiet time in the Word of God. I’ve gotten so caught up in my housework, chores, kids and frankly, just life, that this has gone by the wayside. It is now going to be a priority for me! My goal is to set aside 30 min a day for this.
- LOSE WEIGHT!!! To say I want to lose “x” amount of weight by this date scares me to death! I look at that total weight-loss # and immediately freak out, give up and sulk. Not any more! I’ve broken it down into weekly goals that I can manage and see myself meeting. So, my weekly goal is to lose 2 lbs. (Although, total I’d really like to lose about 65lbs.) There…I said it. Whew! Now…moving on…
- Get rid of processed sugars!!!! I know this is going to be
KEYto my weight-loss as I love a good brownie, just like anyone else. But, I also know I need to look at healthier ways to cook such sweets for my family. So, that process has started. In fact, I’m looking at using Vintage Remedies’ 8 weeks to Real Foods to help me change these (and other) habits.
- Make homeschooling more
FUN!! Who doesn’t want more fun while their learning? Over the last 1.5 years I’ve been so consumed with what T’s doing and what curriculum to use, that I lost sight of a main reason we chose to homeschool in the first place: to create an environment where learning was challenging yet FUNat the same time. Thus far, I’ve been all business and no play (other than the occasional field trip). I’m going to be more deliberate about planning FUNtime into our learning schedule.
- Get my house (& life) ORGANIZED!! I’m following this blog to help me break things down weekly. She’s already gone through most of the year & posted her weekly challenges. I figure if I need to move mine around to fit the needs of my family (and address my stress for the week), I can!! At least I have a plan to follow and can be held accountable weekly. (I’m SUPER excited about this one!)
- Stay caught up on laundry, dishes, school, general housework and STAY organized. Once I get things organized weekly, I want and need it to stay that way!!
- Get my blog changed, updated, organized and just the way I want it!! I’ve got a vision (one that we’re still working on bringing to fruition) – I just need to get it done. I’m also going to be more deliberate about my posts. Check back here tomorrow for my Blog-Post schedule for 2012.
So, there ya have it. My goals for 2012. What are your goals? What would you like to change in 2012? Check back here every Friday for updates, tips & encouragement to keep going!!!
The following two tabs change content below.
Annette has been married to her husband and best friend since 2003. Together they are raising their six children to follow the Lord’s will, no matter what. Annette longs for the day when she will meet all her angel babies who have entered heaven before her. She enjoys creating fun and engaging printables, unit studies and curriculum for homeschool families. You can follow her crazy life at In All You Do where she blogs about marriage, parenting, and homeschooling all while maintaining her sanity. She is also the owner of Thrifty Homeschoolers, where she shares free printables and resources from around the web as well as deals on curriculum and homeschooling resources. You can also keep up with her via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- Singing in the Rain Movie Study - March 18, 2019
- St. Patrick’s Day Unit Study – Updated & Expanded - March 15, 2019
- 5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Ultimate Bucket List - March 8, 2019