|Measure out 1 cup of Cream of Something mix. Pour into small saucepan.|
|Add 3 3/4 cups of milk in with the mix|
Now, you’re going to whisk, whisk and whisk until it thickens (med-low heat).
About 10-15 minutes. I don’t whisk continuously, but enough so the milk doesn’t burn.
|Pour the rice into a large bowl.|
|Add the thickened soup mixture to the rice|
|Blend the rice and thickened cream of something|
Now its time to chop up the chicken. You want to make sure the chicken is not too chunky. I usually take a small knife & just chop it up a little more than what it is in the can. (I love, love, love my handheld strainer.)
|Add the chicken to the mixture and stir|
|After you’ve added the chicken, you’ll see how sticky and thick it is. This is when you’ll add the 1 1/2 – 2 cups more milk.|
I wish I had a good way to tell you when to stop, but it’s just by looks.
You need enough moisture in the dish so the rice will continue to cook. If there is too little moisture, the rice will stop cooking and be crunchy.
|Pour the entire mixture into a 9×13 pan and spread out evenly|
|Sprinkle the onion soup mixture over the top.
I usually use about 1 1/2 TBSP of mix.
|Bake at 350 for 45 with foil on. Remove foil and continue baking another 15 minutes.|
Take out and you’re ready to eat!
I’ve served this with green beans most often and some buttered bread. YUM!!!!
* The original recipe calls for 1 can each of Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken. We’ve just substituted with the Cream of Something mix. My kids don’t like mushrooms or celery and would not eat it with the “green things” in it! NOTE: You can use any combo of the 3 soups. But, at least 1 chicken & 1 celery. We’ve often left out the mushroom & had 2 chicken.
* If you love mushrooms, but HATE the Cream of soups, you can try this homemade recipe.
* To make this in the crock-pot, follow all the instructions above and cook on LOW for 1.5 hours. Sprinkle the onion soup mix on the last 20 minutes or so.
What’s your favorite childhood dish? Share it here!!! Happy Cooking!
Linking up to these parties today! Be sure and check out some of the other fabulous blogs!!
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- The Perfect Tool for Teaching the Scientific Method with Printable Notebook - July 11, 2019
- The Aristocats Movie Study with Printable Pack - July 3, 2019
- Gamer Themed PreK Math Pack - July 2, 2019