Sometimes I forget how important my role as a wife truly is. In fact, there are times that I am almost certain that when I speak no one ever really hears what I am saying. Recently, I was hit with a realization…Not only do our husbands hear what we say, but it affects them far more than they will ever let it be known. It is for this reason we must be certain we know if our words are building our husbands up or tearing them down.
I think as women we sometimes forget our role. We forget that we really aren’t our husband’s parent instead we are their support system through life. We are the ones that they look to when they need a little bit of encouragement and when they need to be reminded of just how important they are in the grand scheme of life. As wives, this is what we were designed for and yet it seems to be easier to tear our men down. After all, for a lot of us, this is all we have ever seen. If you don’t believe me try watching a sitcom show on television that involves married couples. When you do you, will see women bashing their husbands to their girlfriends, nagging their husbands to no end and talking to them like they are a child. This is not how God commands us to treat our husbands. So how can we ourselves actually make sure we are building our husbands up and not tearing them down?
6 Ways to Build Up Your Husband
- Seek guidance from God on the way we have and currently speak to our husbands. This should really be a practice we do every single time we talk with our husbands, especially about important issues. After all, when we feel strongly about something, we tend to talk down to them when we feel they aren’t seeing out point of view.
- Remind your man often that you trust him and his judgement. This goes a long way with men. Who doesn’t love to hear how much they are valued and trusted.
- Refrain from talking negatively about your husband to others. I know that sometimes you think that just sharing one pet peeve really isn’t that bad, but the fact is that even that one shared item can (and more than likely will) get back to your husband.
- Strive to treat your husband the way you would want your future daughter-in-love to treat your son. That is a game changing concept isn’t it?! I want my future daughters-in-love to be my son’s personal cheerleader and always be willing to help them reach their goals. Therefore, I need to – we need to – model this behavior now for our own sons to see.
- Pray for your husband, your heart, and your marriage daily. Praying for these three things daily is life changing. Not only will your heart be molded, you will actually find yourself striving to be a more supportive wife who is building up her husband.
- Make yourself available. Many times our husbands struggle in silence because their support system is simply too busy. This leaves them feeling disconnected and it leaves you feeling a bit confused as to what is going on with your man. Make time to talk with each other, away from kids and distractions, so you can give each other the attention needed.
Share with me in the comments how you build up your husband!
We thought you'd like...
Latest posts by Bridget Childress (see all)
- Strengthening Your Marriage in the New Year - January 27, 2020
- 4 Ways to Make Learning Fun through Games - August 9, 2019
- An Experiment to Remember a Christmas Science Advent Calendar - August 2, 2019