So here we are at week 2 of this getting healthy journey. We’re making headway in our pantry and cleaning out the food we already had, so today I’d like to talk about what foods I’m excited to try.
As a young child I can remember my favorite restaurant being the “salad bar”. Okay, so it wasn’t called the salad bar, but that’s all I ate there and I loved it!! My mom will tell you that I was more apt to eat vegetables and fruit than meat any day. As a result, for many years I was a quazi-vegetarian. I occasionally ate chicken or turkey, but never beef or pork. Except maybe the occasional piece of bacon or two. But, really I pretty much stayed away. They didn’t seem to agree with my system (even then I had symptoms of Crohn’s, but didn’t know it).
When I met my husband he introduced me to beef. We went to visit his grandparents, who lived close to our college and his grandpa cooked Rib-eye for us. Oh man!! I was so nervous. At this point in life, I had not eaten beef in nearly 10 years. But, good golly miss molly was it good! No…it was amazing!!
And that’s why I blame my husband for this unhealthy me. Okay, no. I don’t. Not at all. But, I can seriously pin point that exact moment that changed the way ate – and not for the better. I had stayed away from chocolate and pop most of my life (I was a ballet/tap dancer all through high school) and now I wanted to try “new” things. And most of them were not good for me.
Fast forward almost 10 years and here we are!! I am hoping and praying that God will give me the strength to give up the foods I do not need and sustain me with the good nutrition I do need!
So what am I excited to try again or for the first time? Well, here’s my list:
1. Chicken – I absolutely love chicken! But, I find myself preparing it the same way over and over. I’m excited to find easy, new and yummy recipes!! I’ve pinned some great ones on my Pinterest board, Fitness and Health.
2. Turkey– same here. I really love turkey, but the only time I seem to have it is at the holidays. Well, that simply won’t do anymore! I’m looking forward to exploring new ways to prepare turkey so it is sorta a “new” dish.
3. Salads – Like I said, I could eat salad everyday of the week and be perfectly happy. But, I know that’s not necessarily the healthiest option. While I love my plain, leafy green salad, I’m looking forward to finding new types of salads. And new ways to enhance my taste buds!
4. New food creations that incorporate veggies. Ones that my kids will enjoy!!! We’re trying Cauliflower Pizza Crust tomorrow in fact! (I’ll let ya know how it goes!) I found the recipe on this site where she offers several healthy options to foods we American’s love. Check it out!
5. Homemade Mixes – I’ve been making quite a few of these for a while now (nearly a year for some), but I recently found some more I can’t wait to try!! I love the options and freedom it gives me. Plus, I think it makes me look extra domestic, right?! Okay…maybe not, but it sure is fun!! Maybe I really do like Science?? Hmmm…
Here’s a list of the Mixes I currently use (and their links):
I would like to make more homemade healthy mixes including:
A few months ago I found this amazing e-book on one of the blogs I read. Kristy, at Little Natural Cottage has some GREAT homemade and wholesome mixes in this e-book. Stop by her site and check it out! You can even download a free preview before you buy!! At any rate, it’s only $4 – what a GREAT deal to help you and your family get healthy!!
So, there ya have it. I know it may seem silly that I wrote this out in an actual post, but I am one of those people that needs the accountability. So, if I write it out, I’m more likely to follow through. I mean, I can’t disappoint all 5 of my reader’s right?!
What healthy options are your favorite? Do you make your own mixes at home? What are your favorite go-to healthy recipes?
Feel free to share in the comments your favorite recipes, links or just plain encouragement for everyone!
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- 3 Ways to Homeschool thru the Month of December - December 4, 2019
- A New Advent Study with The Birth of Christ: A 31-Day Mommy & Me Scripture Journal - November 25, 2019
- Book Study: Stink the Incredible Shrinking Kid - November 20, 2019