This week has been a little chaotic for several reasons. Even so, we were able to finish our daily papers and have a wonderful Science field trip!! I was so excited when I found out Sunday night that we were invited to the OK Aquarium – for FREE!!!! We went many moons ago when it first opened, but Mister Bull was just a wee babe and so many things were still under construction.
When I told the kids we were going, they were just as excited as I was. I knew this outing would be the perfect opportunity for some great Hands-On Science!! So, I immediately went to the computer and began doing some research. I found a fun Scavenger Hunt on their website, which I immediately printed out. But, I wanted the Middles to have something to do also. So, I came up with a fun picture bingo game, which I called OCEAN. You can download it here.
The kids had so much fun at the Aquarium. We tried to take in as much as we could, since it will be a long while before we can go back. So, here’s our Aquarium visit in pictures!
The Sea Horses were so much fun to watch. There were babies and adults alike. It is so fascinating to watch them hold on to plants with their tails and then glide through the water. Beautiful creatures.
Mister Mouse loves animals, especially turtles (and dogs). The turtle display thoroughly fascinated him. They were everywhere – swimming, climbing, sleeping. Then, we went to see the Alligator Snapping Turtle (above right). It is HUGE!! This picture shows the turtle in the water and the reflection above him. I’m pretty sure I never want to meet one of those in the wild!
These jellyfish were absolutely amazing!! I couldn’t help but use the sports feature where it snaps a picture every 2 seconds. I just had to capture the movement of it swimming freely in the water.
Mister Mouse enjoyed looking at all the different exhibits. You could tell he was just soaking it all up! Here he’s looking at some freshwater fish found in OK streams (top left), stripper bass (right) and small jellyfish (bottom left).
These are some of the more interesting creatures we saw. Sea Anemones (top left), coral (bottom left), Green Brittle Star (top middle), Lookdowns (bottom middle) and “Nemo” cleaning himself in a sea anemone (right). One interesting fact about the Lookdowns is that their body is so thin, when looking at them head-on an entire school can seem to disappear!
The aquarium has several very cool features. The sting ray and small shark petting tank is one for sure! Mister Bull touched a couple different sting rays. I even put my hand in to get a feel. I was amazed at how soft they were. They weren’t slimy at all!! They are such beautiful creatures.
The shark tank and viewing tunnel is by far the favorite attraction. You walk down a ramp and enter a tunnel where you can see several different types of sharks swimming all around you. I must admit the tunnel can be a little disorienting with all that water around you. But, watching the sharks swim above you and right next to you as you walk is pretty darn cool. And totally worth the disorientation!
1. Can you find the Peacock Flounder? There’s two of them!
2. Miss Priss and Mister Mouse looking at the large tank.
3. Black Knifefish – they are blind and they think these tubes are hollow logs and that they are hiding!
4. A HUGE lobster!!
We had a GREAT time at the Aquarium Wednesday night. The kids were up later than normal, but they sure enjoyed themselves. We learned lots of new and interesting facts. I’m thinking a family pass is in order next year!!
Thursday night was the Hubster’s company picnic. They rent out a place called Incredible Pizza every year. It’s so much fun to see the kids ride go-carts and play games they only see every couple months. I know it has nothing to do with school, but we had so much fun I thought I would share a few pictures.
1. Punkin’ and Miss Priss watching.
2. Punkin’ would smile like this and giggle every time they drove by! It was so cute!!
3. Punkin’ and Mister Mouse watching the go-karts.
4. Miss Priss showing her 1st Place ribbon from the race. Only she didn’t want to hold it and kept telling me “No, momma! No picture!”
1. Miss Priss and Punkin’ trying to give high-5’s every time she went by. It was so darn cute!!
2. Mister Mouse and Miss Priss playing a water shoot game
3. Skeeball!!!! My littles are not any good at this game, in fact they more often chunk the ball at the front rather than roll it, but they sure love it!
1. Mister Mouse and Miss Priss “riding” motorcycles.
2. Punkin’ “playing” a game while still strapped in her stroller. She loved this game.
3. Mister Mouse and Mister Bull driving cars. Do you see how Mister Mouse had to sit to reach the pedals? LOL
1. Mister Bull and the Hubster playing Guitar Hero. Aren’t they cute?!
2. Mister Mouse trying his hand at Guitar Hero.
This week was full of new experiences, games and lots of FUN!!!! Next week is going to be just as fun!! Look for a report on swim lessons (it’s been 1 month), a trip to the State Fair and our first gym class of the year!!
How was your week?
Thanks for stopping by today! Have a great weekend!
Linking up to these other homeschool parties: