Several years ago, when we first started homeschooling, my oldest was very interested in Volcanoes. We learned all about them – watched videos, read books and did experiments. One day, he had to draw a picture of a volcano and then write the definition under it. I will forever remember it, because his picture was great, but he wrote the wrong definition. When asked why he wrote that definition, he said…”it was the shortest one.” We had a long talk about how taking the “shortest route” or the easy way isn’t always the right way. Fun memories!
Volcano Facts for Kids
Before you jump into the volcano science experiment, share these interesting facts about volcanos with your little learners:
- There are about 1,900 active volcanoes on the earth. This means they have erupted recently or they might erupt. Some volcanoes are extinct. Over 80 volcanoes have been found in the ocean.
- Most volcanoes happen on fault lines, or cracks in the Earth’s surface.
- Most of the earth’s volcanoes are in the Pacific Ocean, in an area called the Ring of Fire.
- The word “volcano” comes from Vulcan, the Roman god of fire.
- Lava from volcanoes can reach temperatures of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Volcanoes spew out ash and toxic gases, as well as lava and lava boulders.
Volcano Science Experiment for Kids
Check out how these kids use household chemicals to recreate a volcanic eruption!
Using the Volcano Kit from the video, little scientists are asked to mix chemicals to make the volcano erupt! This will be an experiment that Young Scientists will want to repeat again and again!
Magic School Bus Science Kits
Get an exciting new Magic School Bus Science Kit delivered to your doorstep every month for a YEAR! These science experiments for kids include hands-on experiments with magnets, water, bacteria, fungus, lights, rainbows, and more!
Educents has the award-winning Science Kit subscription for 50% off (Get free shipping within the U.S. and international shipping available too)!
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- Christmas Reindeer PreK Handwriting & Math Pack - December 9, 2019
- 3 Ways to Homeschool thru the Month of December - December 4, 2019
- A New Advent Study with The Birth of Christ: A 31-Day Mommy & Me Scripture Journal - November 25, 2019