Resurrection Sunday is probably my favorite day of the year. As a kid I loved getting a new dress and seeing family. As a an adult and parent, I love teaching my children the reason we celebrate Resurrection Sunday. Our family chooses not to do egg hunts or bunnies, but rather on Jesus and His resurrection.
This isn’t always the popular approach, but as Christian parents we feel it is important to teach our children the reason for the holiday, rather than hub-bub surrounding it. This came about for several reasons, but the biggest was because when our oldest was four years old, all he could think about and ask about were the presents. That’s when we decided the holidays, if we chose to celebrate them, needed a different focus.
Over the last ten years, I can honestly say our children haven’t missed the egg hunts and the candy. But they can tell us the story of Jesus and His crucifixion, but most importantly His resurrection. If they miss out on a little candy, but know Jesus, I have done my job well.
That being said, I also wanted a unit study to help my kids learn more about Resurrection Sunday. When I originally created this unit six years ago, I literally had no idea what I was doing. I put together some ideas for each subject and added some coloring pages to the mix and voila…a unit study.
Sadly, all the images in that study were used illegally, because I didn’t know any better. I have come a long way since that day. But that also means I had to remove that pack from my site and create a new one. I am happy to say, this newly updated and expanded pack is completely legal and full of great activities for ages PreK – 5th grade in each subject! I’ve even made some great improvements that I think your kids will LOVE!
Included in this pack:
- Language Arts – Students will use their Bible to read the crucifixion and resurrection accounts. They will also be able to read about the history of crucifixion (the act) and answer questions about what they’ve read.
- Science – Several different science experiments are given for students to complete. There are also a couple of other options included to make this science lesson one for the books!
- Math – There are four different leveled worksheets for math. Preschoolers will work on their counting while K-5th grades will learn and master Roman Numerals.
- Social Studies/Geography – A map of ancient times is included so students can study and then label different, key, parts of the crucifixion and resurrection story.
- Drama – Acting out lessons or what they read can help kids remember, relate to and better comprehend what they’ve read. We give you a few ideas to start, but you can always let their imaginations run wild.
- Visual Arts – Several options are given for each age group. Gather the few supplies needed and let your kids get crafting! All of these crafts will point children toward Jesus, his crucifixion and/or resurrection.
- Montessori-Inspired Counting Cards – These are perfect for little ones working on learning their numbers or counting. You can use them as a matching game or as 3-part cards.
- Notebooking Pages – I have included 10 blank notebooking pages that can be used with any portion of this unit study or for their own research.
This pack is designed for PreK-5th grades, but can easily be adjusted for older or younger kids. For my older child, I simply ask him to do more with the notebooking pages and research, while my younger ones get to do some fun sensory bins as well as sit with us as we work through the Tot Pack.
Check out some of our other Resurrection Day Themed Studies
Don’t forget to follow our Resurrection Day Board on Pinterest for more great ideas
God Gave Us Easter (God Gave Us Series)He Is Risen: Rocks Tell the Story of EasterThe Berenstain Bears’ Easter SundayCase for Christ for KidsThe Very First EasterThe Story of EasterThe Easter StoryThe Story of EasterThe Easter Story
Free for a limited time only!
I believe in this unit study and love my readers so much and I want as many of you to have this unit study as possible…I am offering them FREE for a limited time! This unit is FREE thru Monday April 15, 2019 at 11:59pm EST. After that, it will be in the store for just $4.99.
To download this Resurrection Day Unit Study, simply add it to your cart and then checkout. Upon checkout, you will be added to my Weekly Newsletter list.
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- 7 Tips for Teaching Creative Writing in Your Homeschool - May 22, 2020
- Ideas to Teach Weather to Preschoolers + FREE Weather Tot & PreK-K Pack - May 13, 2020
- How to Practice Creative Writing with Story Cubes - May 11, 2020