- Get old doors. These were hollow and worked well since they were going to be hung on the wall. I’m sure you could use solid ones too though.
- You’ll want to buff the doors just enough to rough them up and get the sheen off. You don’t have to completely remove the finish, just rough them up so the paint will stick.
- Once you’ve roughed up the doors, now you can begin painting them. My parents chose a solid color for each door (boys and girls). 2-3 coats should do it.
- Once the base coat has been applied and dried completely, you can begin painting on the magnetic paint and/or chalkboard paint. Be sure and read the directions for these paints as they are quite different not only from each other, but also from regular household paint.
- Once you’ve applied those how you want, you can then apply embellishments, such as a border to the chalkboard or magnet area.
- After all your paint has dried, then you can start adding the “activities” you want.
For my girls, in addition to the chalkboard (which they don’tuse yet because they think chalk is food) we added door knobs (loosely so theyspin),
pull toys for the baby (when she starts crawling), a mini etch-a-sketchto draw on
and magneticdress-up dolls. The baskets hold their “clothes”…isn’t that so cute?!
They also mod-podged lettersfor each of the girls and added a couple extra embellishments to fill in theextra space.
The boys, being older, have a larger chalkboardarea, a hook to hang things on or tie things to and run around the room…but my boys don’t do that so don’t worry.
Thewonderful grandparents they are also put two Velcro vests on there that youthrow balls at for fun. I suppose that is better than them wearing them andthrowing the balls at each other though, right?!
A basketball goal…that glows in the dark even! And a lettermod-podged with scrapbook paper for each of them. They also added a coupleextra fun things and embellishments on the corners of their chalkboard.
Linking up here:
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- The Perfect Tool for Teaching the Scientific Method with Printable Notebook - July 11, 2019
- The Aristocats Movie Study with Printable Pack - July 3, 2019
- Gamer Themed PreK Math Pack - July 2, 2019