Trying to teach our children about God can and should be a never ending task. Devotions together as a family is one way most choose to accomplish this (our family included), then of course there is always open discussions and of course the obvious taking our children to church that helps in that area as well. However, if your children are like mine then they need to see a day to day example. That is where our own personal marriages come in.
It wasn’t until almost 5 yrs into marriage that I was floored with the realization that my marriage was suppose to be a mirror of Christ and the Church. As a matter of fact it was one of the hardest things that I think God has ever slapped me with. Yet, once my husband and I really started to examine this more closely that we started to notice huge (not to mention wonderful) changes in our own marriage. These changes allowed our own children to see a somewhat example of the love that Jesus has for the Church. Mind you this can be somewhat flawed at times because we are all human. But, our marriages can still be one of the most powerful ministries to help shape our children’s views of God.
To See How This All Works Together Let’s Visit A Few Verses
For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:22-33 (ESV)
- Our husbands should be the head of our homes just like Christ is the head of the Church.
- Wives should submit to their husbands just as we as Christians are to submit ourselves to Christ.
- Our husbands are suppose to actively help us grow spiritually just as Christ does for the Church.
- Wives are should have trust and faith in her husband just as we as the Church do in Christ.
- Our husbands should be willing to love and respect us just as they do themselves.
- Together as a unit we should cling to each other and not outside influences. Just as the Church is to cling to God.
Striving to fulfill our roles outlined for our marriage, along with family devotions, open conversations with our children about God and allowing our children to see our own personal walk with God teaches them about what it truly means to chose a live walking with the Lord. Later in life it also supplies them with real life examples to reflect on.
My prayer for you dear reader is that you will openly accept your roles that God has outlined for your marriage so that you can actively teach your children to accept their roles as future Christians.
Until Next Time Just Keep Soaring 4 Him,
Did you miss a post in our 30 Days of Bible series? Check them all out by clicking the image below.
This post is also part of our Marriage & Motherhood Mondays series. Click the image below to read more in this series.
Latest posts by Bridget Childress (see all)
- Using a Gentle Approach to Spelling Introduction - July 12, 2019
- Welcome To Summer Preschool Activity Pack 30+ Pages of Learning Activities - July 5, 2019
- Intentional Family Travel: 3 Planning Tips For Your Next Vacation. - June 28, 2019