Martin Luther started a whole new era for the church — the Reformation, where the church split into Catholicism and Protestantism. He also married an ex-nun, Katherine von Bora. As I searched the internet for facts to refresh my memory, it was interesting to me how the search results were dominated by Martin Luther King Jr. Don’t get me wrong, MLK Jr. did great things for equality, but I wanted Martin Luther …the monk. So, if you’re doing any googling, queries like “martin luther monk” or “martin luther reformation” should help narrow things down to the more relative results.
As we started talking about Martin Luther, I did a little internet research. I was a little stumped on what activities we could do to learn about Martin Luther for a toddler, but then we found public domain paintings of both Martin Luther and Katherine von Bora.
Martin Luther + Katherine von Bora Puzzle
I added their names to the paintings, and then printed them out so we could make puzzles! Click on images below for printables of Martin Luther and his wife, Katharina Von Bora.
After printing out both portraits, and collecting a few supplies (cardboard, scissors, and a glue stick), we were ready to make our puzzle!
I offered for my son to draw the puzzle piece lines on the back, and to cut out the pieces, but ultimately I managed both of those tasks as he’s not quite old enough to do that independently. He did help a bit with the cutting.
The puzzle was a big hit! We continued talking about “Martin Luther and his wife” (according to my toddler). He preferred putting Katherine von Bora together than Martin Luther, possibly because of the additional detail in her clothing. I can see that being easier.
Martin Luther Resources
Here are some additional resources on Martin Luther — these would be good for your reference, or for older kids. I was intrigued by the movies on Martin Luther, which I was previously unaware existed.
- Historical summary of Martin Luther’s life, for kids
- The Reformation, for kids
- When ex-priest Martin Luther weds ex-nun Katherine Von Bora, a memorable union ensue
- Martin Luther’s 95 Theses (book)
- Luther (DVD, PG-13)
- Martin Luther: The Life of the Man and the Legacy of the Reformer (book)
- The Hymns of Martin Luther Set to their original melodies; with an English version (free ebook)
Latest posts by Betsy (see all)
- 5 Tips for Planning Family Photos for Holiday Gatherings - November 15, 2014
- Teaching Toddlers About Martin Luther + The Reformation - October 11, 2014
- Roasted Pumpkin (or Squash) Seeds - October 4, 2014