As I mentioned last week I am really counting calories and working on eating more “clean” foods. So a few weeks ago I was searching through the pantry, the fridge and my fresh produce trying to figure out something for lunch. And this is what I came up with.
Now, this may come as a shock to most of you, but I never experiment in the kitchen. I am a Type A, rules kinda girl. In fact, it took me years to learn how to play the piano from a chord chart because I just couldn’t get away from sheet music. I like to have everything spelled out for me and just follow along. So, when I say this was a BIG step for me that might be a bit of an understatement!
Nevertheless, I was willing to take the chance. I figured I liked each of the ingredients, so why not give it a shot, right? So I did. And it was SUPER yummy!!!! The Hubster tried a bite of mine and ended making some for himself. It was that good!! So, here I am sharing it with you today!
Sautéed Chicken with Zucchini, Onions and Tomatoes
1 small white onion sliced
1 medium green zucchini, peeled and sliced
3oz chicken breast, cut in strips or chunks
1/2 Tomato sliced
1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1. Pour 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil into pan and heat on medium-high.
2. Once the oil is nice and hot (only takes about a minute), put in your onion. Sauté your onion until a nice golden-brown color, almost caramelized, but not quite.
3. Next, add your zucchini slices and sauté them with the onions. Just as they’re getting soft, add in the chicken chunks.
4. Whether you use pre-cooked chicken strips or raw chicken will determine how long you cook your mixture. Be sure to stir constantly (or at least very frequently) so that you don’t burn the onions or zucchini.
5. After your chicken is thoroughly heated/cooked, add in the tomatoes and sauté them. The juices in the tomatoes are what make a sort of sauce in this dish and add some great flavor.
6. Just as your tomatoes are getting soft, squeeze your lime over the entire mixture and continue sautéing for a couple more minutes.
7. Remove from heat and serve!
OH. MY. WORD. This dish is super easy and super yummy!!!! I absolutely love it and I hope you do too!!!
And what I love is that it has so much in it that you don’t really need anything else. You have veggies and protein all in one – delish!! But, you could pair it with a nice spinach salad or some fresh fruit.
So, let’s talk about calories, since that’s what I’m counting.
This fabulous meal is only 272 calories!!!! Yep…that’s it! Isn’t that fantastic?!
I know that doesn’t sound like much, but with the protein of the chicken and the amount of veggies, I found it more than filling. And if you eat just this for lunch, you can have some delicious Cucumber, Tomato Salad for a mid-afternoon snack!! A nice pick-me-up in the heat of the day!!
What would you pair with this dish? What new creations have you cooked up recently? Feel free to share in the comments or leave a link to your own post!
Stay tuned in the coming weeks:
Cherry-Mango Smoothie review
Getting Healthy: Monthly Update
**You can now PRINT or SAVE to PDF the recipes I put on here!!! Just click on the “Print & PDF” link at the bottom of this post!!!