As I was browsing Pinterest one night, shocker…I know, I came across these super adorable Rice Krispie Pumpkins. Aren’t they just the cutest?!
Okay…so, who knew the Original Rice Krispies Cereal wasn’t gluten-free? When I came across this recipe I decided I better make sure. I mean, just because it has “rice” in the name doesn’t exempt them. And boy was I shocked!! But, thankfully Kellogg’s came out with Gluten-Free Rice Krispies!! YAY!!!! All is right with the world again. Okay, maybe not, but at least I don’t have to give up Rice Krispie treats!
Gluten-Free Rice Krispie Treats
Adapted from this recipe.
3 TBSP butter
1 package (10oz) Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows
1. Melt butter over low-med heat. Stir continuously. Unless you’re going to take a picture, then its okay to stop briefly for said picture taking.
2. Pour in marshmallows and continue stirring until all marshmallows are melted. I like to add about half the bag first and stir until they are mostly melted before adding the other half of the marshmallows.
3. Once marshmallows are completely melted, slowly pour in the Rice Krispies. Again, I add a little at a time and get them well coated before adding more. This not only makes it easier to stir and coat all the rice cereal, it also keeps the messes down to a minimum! Cause let’s face it…those rice krispies just jump out of the pan when you’re stirring.
4. Put marshmallow mixture in a generously buttered 9×13 pan. Use either a spatula or a sheet of wax paper to smooth out the treats.
5. Then, use a sheet of wax paper to really push the treats down in the pan. Peel back wax paper slowly. Some will stick, but mostly it will be clean – and so will your hands!
5. Let them set up for at least an hour.
6. Serve and enjoy!!
Best when served the same day!
Gluten-Free Chex Mix
Adapted from the original Chex Mix recipe
1 box Rice Chex
1 box Corn Chex
1/2 bag Gluten-Free Pretzel Sticks
1/2 can of Mixed Nuts (optional)
1 cup + 6 TBSP butter
8 TBSP Worchestshire
4 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
2 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1. In a large roasting pan, combine cereals, pretzels and mixed nuts. Stir to ensure they are mixed completely.
2. In medium microwavable bowl, melt butter in 30 second intervals.
3. Once butter is completely melted, add in Worchestshire, seasoned salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
4. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture in roasting pan, making sure to spread it as evenly as possible. It helps to have a super cute 7yr old to help pour while you snap pictures!
5. Using a large spatula, fold cereal mixture over itself until butter mixture has coated the cereal mixture entirely. One way to tell if you’ve mixed it enough is to make sure all the “goo” is off the bottom of the pan.
6. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. You will stir a total of 4 times. Remove from oven. **Traditionally, you would lay the mixture out on paper towels to cool and “get crunchy.” But, by baking it an extra 15 minutes, you can eliminate this step.
Serve warm – you can serve it cold, but who can wait that long to have a bowl of fresh Chex mix?! And ENJOY with a nice big mug of Caffeine Free Cherry-Vanilla Diet Coke!!!