When I was in college, we had a professor who taught the Life of Christ classes. If you took the semester that included the Sermon on the Mount, you could opt to memorize it and write it out in lieu of the final exam. I was never good at memorizing long passages, so I’m thankful that wasn’t the semester I took.
My husband, however, did take that semester and opted to memorize Matthew 5, 6 and 7 rather than the test. He is great at memorization, so that was no surprise. And it was no surprise when he started working with our kids to memorize the Beatitudes several months ago either.
We have been seeing some not-so-great habits creep in by way of their attitudes and we knew we needed to put a stop to it. But talks were just not cutting it, so he changed up our family Bible time and started reading and teaching them the Beatitudes.
At first, he just read them for a couple of days, but then he wanted to make sure they not only heard them but knew them. So he began to have them repeat them one by one. He started with the first one and they repeated it every night until they could say it without prompting. Then they moved on to the next one and so on. This was ultimately our reason for creating the format we did for this month’s Mommy & Me Scripture Journals.
The mommy journal is a little different this month in that one page covers three days. You are welcome to print each page three times or just use extra lined paper to write the verse out. The goal is to help you read and see the same verse over and over to help you memorize it. I explain more in my opening letter about our heart and vision behind this project. I do hope you enjoy this month and this time spent in the beginning of Matthew chapter 5.
As with the Mommy journal, the children’s journal has different clipart and is also formatted differently this month. While they will also concentrate on the same verse for three days, each day has a different format to help them really memorize the focus verse. Day One they will read it, speak it and trace it (available in both print and cursive). Day Two they will read it, speak it and write it, copying from above if necessary. And on Day Three they will write it (from memory) and draw what the verse means. This follows the same verses in the mommy journal, so you can do them together.
How to use this journal
- Family Bible Time – This is the perfect journal to use when you’re already gathered together for Bible time. You can simply read the passages together and then allow your kids to discuss what they wrote or show the pictures they drew of the verse.
- Homeschool Bible lessons – If you choose this option, I recommend that Mom completes the journal time beforehand so you are ready to talk and answer any questions that might come up as the kids work through their page.
- Character Training – This month’s focus is The Beatitudes, which are character qualities I want to instill in my own children. These 10 verses may seem small but are the foundation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I pray you and your family will see that as you work through this month’s focus.
- Personal Bible Time – If you have older children, you can use these printables as a way to encourage not only yourself but also your children in a personal Bible time.
You might also be interested in our other Mommy & Me Scripture Journals.
The Beatitudes Mommy & Me Scripture Journals are a great way to start off the new year by focusing on the very beginning of Jesus’ largest recorded sermon in the Scriptures, The Sermon on the Mount. These are formatted slightly differently than our previous two because the goal is to memorize them as you study.
All verses are from the American Standard Version (ASV).
Download The Birth of Christ Scripture Journals
To download The Beatitudes Mommy & Me Scripture Journals, simply add the product to your cart and checkout. **Upon checkout, you will be added to my Weekly Newsletter list.**
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- Use Math Games to Make Learning FUN + Printable PreK Math Pack - January 15, 2020
- 3 Steps to Meeting your Child’s Deepest Need with Music - January 6, 2020
- Memorize and Study The Beatitudes: Mommy & Me Scripture Journals - December 23, 2019