As a parent one of my primary responsibilities to help my children learn how to think for themselves, so that they can survive in the “real” world. To help them shape a worldview. As a Christian parent, is vital that I teach them how to see the world and situations through God’s eyes, or a Biblical Worldview.
Believe it or not, according to the Barna group, only about 9% of American adults have a biblical worldview and only 19% of professed “born again Christians” hold a biblical worldview. This is simply not okay and I for one, do not want my children falling in to the other 81% of “born again Christians.” It is also said that a persons worldview is shaped by the time they are 13 and that is the worldview they will carry with them through adulthood to share and pass on to others, which is why my husband and I continue to homeschool and teach our children at home. No matter how hard (financially, emotionally or physically) it may become, we are committed to teaching our children from a Biblical Worldview.
What is a Biblical Worldview?
- Believing an absolute moral truth exists – There is no “well if he/she feels that’s okay…” or “I just felt like it was the right thing to do” when you know it wasn’t. God’s word is clear on how we should and shouldn’t live our lives and we need to follow it.
- Believing the Bible is totally accurate in all of the principles it teaches – There is no cutting out Scriptures to fit the lifestyle we want. Likewise, we cannot add to the Scriptures to fit our lifestyle. There is also no “God would want me to be happy” nonesense either. He has strict rules that He requires us to follow and when we don’t, we are not supporting a Biblical worldview.
- Satan is a REAL being or force, not just symbolic – This one baffles me. If you read the Bible, how can you not believe this, however there are people who don’t. That kind of thinking doesn’t make much sense, because without Evil in the world, there would be no need for a Savior. I don’t get it, but it exists.
- Believing a person cannot earn his/her way in to Heaven through good works – This is a tough one to grasp, because as Christians we are called to do good works. But those good works must flow out of our love for Him, not to impress Him. There is no checklist that will get us in to Heaven – other than, we need to believe and accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior and follow Him. Outside of that, checklists have no bearing on our entrance into Heaven.
- Believing a person cannot earn his/her way in to Heaven by trying to “be good” – In a world of sin, people are not “good.” No matter how hard we try, we will never be good enough to enter God’s presence. That is why He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to intercede for us. But, as I mentioned in the point above, we must accept Him for that to matter. There is no such thing as a “good person” – there is Saved and not saved. That is what God sees.
- Jesus Christ is God, the Holy Spirit is God and God is God – Triune in nature – This one isn’t hard for me to believe, although trying to figure out how they are all three God, as a child, was a little confusing. Nevertheless, we must teach them this truth.
- Jesus Christ lived a sinless life on earth – If you don’t believe this…I’m not sure why you’re reading this post. In order for Jesus Christ to be offered as a Living Sacrifice on our behalf, he must have lived a sinless life – or his sacrifice would have just been another death.
- God is the all-knowing, all-powerful Creator of the world who still rules the universe today – This is a tough one for people who want to do things and live life their own way, but it is vital to the Biblical worldview. If you do not believe God is still in charge today, then it really doesn’t matter what you do or how you live.
While that may sound simple enough and most “born again Christians” say they believe them to be true, their actions say otherwise. There are a few of them that Christians believe without hesitation (at least when speaking generally). However, most often I see them get tripped up on the “absolute moral truth”, “good works” and “trying to be good”. These are the ones that seem to be the hardest to grasp, but if we are to have a completely Biblical worldview – it is imperative.
We cannot pick and choose what works for our worldview, nor can we change God’s worldview. We must learn to see and think through HIS eyes and lens, so that everything filters through a God-sized lens.
The biggest one we struggle with teaching our kids is that just because you are a “good person,” does not mean you will go to Heaven. We must believe in and accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, repent of our sins (even the ones we don’t know about) and be baptized in to Him. However, that’s what we tell our children is the “easy part.” It’s learning to follow Him every day, all day that becomes difficult.