I know what you’re probably thinking…Fine Arts…ain’t nobody got time for that! Which might be technically true, but I still believe the Arts are something that needs to be – or rather MUST be taught to our children. While it’s true that I’m an “artsy” person and love to teach about them, I have personally seen the benefits of teaching the Fine Arts to children, which is why I feel so passionately about this subject.
Now first of all, you need to understand that “Fine Arts” is not just paintings and artwork. It also includes Music and Drama. So there are lots of avenues to explore in the Fine Arts arena. While I am partial to Music and Drama, it is important to allow kids to learn how to express their creativity and explore art through painting, coloring, chalk, drawing, etc.
I believe there are 5 Reasons You Should Teach Fine Arts in Your Homeschool.
- Good for the brain – It is a proven fact that children who learn music and the “arts” as it is lumped together, do better academically. Music helps with math and even coordination, listening, following instructions, hand-eye-coordination and so much more that is essential in learning.
- Keeps their creativity & imagination alive – Kids love to use their imaginations and art – painting, drawing, sculpting – and music are just two ways they can express that creativity. Drama is a fun way for kids to create their own plays and scense as well as work on their memory skills with monologues, mini plays or even get involved with their local theatre company.
- To explore the different arts – If your child never visits another city, state or even country, all they will ever know about it is what they read in a book or online. To really know the culture of another country, they must visit the country and experience it for themselves. It’s the same with the arts – in order to truly understand painting strokes, musical composition and the ins-and-outs of the theatre – they must experience them.
- Breaks up the day – Adding music, art and even drama in to your homeschool day can give a much needed break from the everyday papers and workload. My kids enjoy getting up and moving to the music or working on some fun art project when they get frustrated with their daily work. FYI – painting is a great way to relieve tension and stress for kids. They can be artistic and express how they feel through the colors and their strokes. It can be freeing to them as well as insightful for you!
- They’re FUN! – What better reason to incorporate Fine Arts in to your homeschool day than – it’s FUN!! And there are so many different ways to sneak in bits of music and art to your current studies.
And there are so many great products out there to help you teach these subjects, so even if you’re not an expert – your kids will learn and benefit from them!!
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- 5 Budgeting Mistakes and How to Avoid Them - April 6, 2020
- Preparing Your Homeschooler for the ACT - April 3, 2020
- Learning More About Shakespeare Through a Shakespearean Unit Study - April 2, 2020