If you missed any of the posts in this series, you can start here.
Yesterday we talked about 5 Ways to Love Your Man, so today I’m going to talk to the husbands out there. So ladies, go get your husband. Go ahead. I’ll wait……….Are you back? Okay. Husbands, this post is for you! I know it can be difficult to read your wife and understand her insanely crazy way of thinking, but it is possible. In fact, we’re not so different from you!!
Yes, it’s true. When it comes to showing love to our sweetheart, we’re not that different from you men. We are desperately trying to show our deep love and affection for you, by loving you the way we feel loved. We remember those long talks into the night and holding hands any chance we could get. But somewhere between “I do” and kids we’ve lost our mojo. Most days we’re lucky to get a shower and have our clothes remain unstained until 5pm when you arrive home. Oh believe me…we try. But some days it seems like an endless battle.
But we want to know you love us. We want to feel the same giddy, butterflies-in-your-stomach sensation as we did when we were first dating. So how can you show your wife you are still in love with her – even more in love with her than the day you met. Here are 5 practical ways to love your wife.
- Pray for her. Spend time each day in prayer for your wife. This is not a time to gripe about things you would like changed in her. This is a time to really pray for your wife. For her day, her own spiritual growth and walk with the Lord, her struggles and her passions. There are several prayer prompts out there on the internet, which can help guide you in these prayers. But more importantly…listen to the Holy Spirit for guidance on how to pray for and encourage her through your prayers.
- Be spontaneous…in her love language. Men it is so important that you know and understand her love language. If you’re showing her love in the “wrong” ways, she is going to get frustrated and upset. Over time that builds up and she will begin to wonder just how much you really do love her. But you can show her love in ways other than her love language to change it up a bit. Although I’m not a huge flowers person, they are nice on occasion. I love when my husband brings flowers home for no reason, other than “I love you and these are beautiful, just like you!” Those are the times that melt my heart and make me want to act like a newlywed again!!
- Don’t stop dating her. Husbands this is a BIG one for us women. Just because we now have a ring on our finger that tells the world we’re yours, doesn’t mean we don’t want you to take us out on the town and show us off!!! Treat your wife like the Queen she is. Now, it’s important to note that we don’t expect fancy dinners and expensive hotels – at least not every time. It really is enough for you to plan a night out at a restaurant we enjoy and spending time with just us! Don’t forget to set up the babysitter and make all the plans so we don’t have to stress. Trust me. That will earn you some serious brownie points!
- Give her time and space. Moms get exhausted. Whether your wife works outside the home or is a stay-at-home mom, she is pulling double duty. She has her own household responsibilities that demand her time, as well as juggling kids, homeschool/homework and anything else that comes up. And most of the time, we want to do all the housework so you don’t have to. But often that leaves very little “me time” for her. Every once in a while my husband will take our 4 kids – yes, all four of them – to a playplace where they can have room to run and play, getting out all their pent-up energy. This hour (or more) of quiet time speaks volumes to a mother of multiple children.
- Trust her to be the Manager of the Home. As a godly wife, she has been entrusted by God to manage the home – your home. As a stay-at-home mom, I can honestly say that this is a source of frustration sometimes. She is the one home with the children most of the time and knows the best way to talk with them and handle situations with each child. She is also the one who does most of the disciplining. So, please…oh please, do not undermine her authority. If she has given a punishment to a child, do not go behind her and change it. Trust her enough to know that she is doing what she feels is necessary and appropriate for that child.
Women are delicate, sensitive creatures. Husbands take the time to continue finding new and creative ways to love her. Trust her. Date her. Give her space. Surprise her. And for heaven’s sake…don’t stop praying for her! She may seem like a SuperMom in your eyes, but she is doing her best to stay afloat most days.
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- 5 Frugal Ways to Make the Most of Your Homeschool Graduate Celebration - April 23, 2019
- New Movie Study: Alice in Wonderland based on the Original 1951 Version - April 17, 2019
- Gamer PreK Fun Pack – FREE Printable - April 12, 2019