September 2, 2006 8:17 am EST was the year, month, day and time, the Lord gave me the gift of a daughter, to raise up as a woman of God. It was 5:00am that early day in September and in a few hours, my world and hers are going to collide, and change forever.
She doesn’t know that I’m up packing for the hospital, completing the nursery and preparing for her arrival, while she is asleep inside my womb.
She doesn’t understand that she is being fearfully and wonderfully made by a mighty Creator.
Nor, can she know the many prayers I whispered during those hot summer days, as I felt her little wiggles, twists and turns.
No. She has no idea what’s going on at this hour in the morning.
Later that morning, at 8:17 am EST at 7lbs 19 oz, she was born, and placed in the hands of a weeping father and exhausted mother. A Jesus girl was born.
But Jesus girls need help to become this women because, they are being inundated with things that are contradicting to God’s truth, in school, TV shows, neighborhood friends and in the characters of the books they read. With all that our girls are facing, our Jesus girls need women of God in her life – to lead her on this path of relationship with our heavenly Father. They need women that are setting examples.
For Titus 2:3-5 instructs the older women to be examples to the younger,
“the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things-that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blashphemed.”
Their little eyes are watching us, and we need to be living witnesses to our daughters, nieces, granddaughters or any other little girl, the Lord places in our path to teach.As we lead in example, let’s also fight. Let’s fight over the spiritual battlefield of their hearts.
HOW DO WE FIGHT FOR A JESUS GIRL?
“For the weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds” (2 Corinthians 10:4) and the Lord says, “For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20). As Christians, we know our battle belongs to the Lord, and our girls are the future generation that will go forth to declare His name. We need them, and they need us.
So let’s join in prayer over 5 key areas, that girls and teens struggle with in today’s society.
- Security. Our girls need to understand the depths of who they are in Christ, and in Him alone. It is never too early to wash words of affirmation from the word of God over children. They need to hear they are “fearfully and wonderfully. (Psalm 139:14) made by a heavenly Father. They need to know, that what the Lord says about them, and set their minds on that truth.
- Feelings of Love. The number one issue women and girls struggle with, is the feeling loved. Girls need to know that love is a decision, and God choose to love them, and with an everlasting love. No matter how many failed “loves”, God will not stop loving them. This is crucial to the well being of the heart of our girls. They need love, and one that can not fail them.
- Modesty. Modesty is more of a heart issue than a “dressing” issue. When our girls have their identity and love set in Christ, the way they dress is rarely an issue. So if our girls start to dress in a way that is attention “seeking”, know that it’s not a wardrobe malfunction, it’s something more. For everything we do and say comes flows from the heart. Let them know, God is “all ears” and longs to spend time with them. They have His attention, and he delights when we reveal our hearts to Him, verses revealing our bodies to the world.
- Self-Control. Having self-control and being controlling are totally two different things, and are often manipulated to mean the same. Our girls need to know that God is in full control, and when things don’t go their way, that a godly response is always an option. They don’t need to try to gain control of the situation, but more so gain control over feelings like jealousy and anger.
- The tongue. Yet it be a small organ, it causes the most trouble. Practicing self-control, is also a way to help speak kindness. Today, girls are being praised for speaking any and everything on their mind to other. They need to know, that God calls such a person a fool (Proverbs 29:11). They need to know that words have power, and it can either build up a person or tear down a person.
We don’t have to limit ourselves to just these 5 areas of prayer, but this is a starting point. Also, as I was typing the 5 areas, the Lord was also pressing it on my heart, that not just Jesus Girls need solidity in these areas, but all women, young, old and middle aged :). So again, lets stand with each other in prayer, and remember that our Security is in who He says we are. We are Loved by an Almighty God. The Lord delights in revealing our hearts, instead of our bodies, to Him. God has given us power to practice Self-Control. The tongue, is made to bless Him.
Anchored in Him