Disclosure: I received these products to review. However, I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
For years Mister Bull (10) has been obsessed with Knights. One of his favorite series of movies is “Chronicles of Narnia.” One year for Halloween he begged to be King Peter and our youngest, at the time, was Aslan. It was absolutely precious…really. He has a Knights playset that gets used often and loves to play Knight-themed games on his tablet.
Even though his love for Knights was evident, he had been struggling with connecting to history in a real way. So I began my search for curriculum that would interest him as well as educate him. I had a hard time finding anything we could really use other than a few books here and there. But, I wanted more.
That’s when I was introduced to Pumpkin Seeds Press. And I’m so thrilled we have met. When the box arrived in our mailbox, I couldn’t wait to open it up and dig in. I was amazed to see so many AMAZING products. Immediately I was drawn to the books for girls, because well…I’m a girl! BUT, then I saw the most amazing books – Legends of King Arthur and His Court and Lessons of King Arthur and His Court. Could this be the answer to my prayers? Would this be what might finally hook my son on history? I couldn’t wait to dig in and find out. I spent the rest of the week looking through the books, reading and working out a plan to begin the next week.
For the past two weeks, Mister Bull has read and worked in the workbook. At first he was apprehensive with a different format, but once he understood it he has done wonderful. He loves the book and says, “the workbook isn’t that bad either.” I’m not sure he’ll ever be a fan of writing long sentences, but he’s excited about what he’s learning and that counts as a WIN in my book! In fact, this new found love of history has blossomed and he read an ENTIRE book about World War I in less than two days this week!
What I love about this set:
- I love the short chapters. They are required to read a short chapter about King Arthur and his Court each week to complete their assignments in the workbook. This fulfills both his history and reading assignments for the day.
- The workbook has an easy to follow format. Designed to spread out over 10-weeks, students work on:
- Vocabulary of 8-10 words used in the book and during that time period
- Study guide questions that help them recall what they read in the chapter
- Research which helps history really come alive for them through legends, customs, weapons and more
- Notebook where they collect and compile the research they have done
- Write where they work on bringing together the creative or research writing assignments
- Draw where they can express what they have learned through art
- Activity where they present what they have learned through an oral presentation or medieval tournament
- No complaining – for the first time in a long time, my child has not complained about doing history!! That’s a HUGE win in our house!
- The ease of reading. The book is written in an easy-to-read format perfect for young boys and girls.
Other Products from Pumpkin Seeds Press
I was also gifted with three other sets from Pumpkin Seed Press. And while I do have girls, they are only 4 and 5, so these products will have to wait a few years. However, I was able to look through them and would LOVE to tell you about them!
This series includes two books and two CDs. This book is perfect for those early years of training godly Character in your daughter(s) as she approaches puberty. Geared toward girls ages 9-14, Beautiful Girlhood, walks young girls through character qualities becoming of a Christ-like woman. It is beautifully written, yet simple enough for young girls. The companion guide serves as a journal of sorts as Moms and Daughters walk through this study together. Biblically based with Scriptures to look up and record your findings, this companion guide is a wonderful asset to the book. This set also includes two CDs – Mentoring Your Daughter and Welcome to Womanhood. Mentoring your daughter is a wonderful CD that teaches and encourages you to spend TIME with your daughter as she grows into a woman. The best way to instill Biblical and godly values in to her, is through mentoring. Welcome to Womanhood is for MOMS ONLY! This CD will help guide you through those formative years as your daughters body is constantly changing and so is she. This CD gives ways to talk to her, commemorate the occasions and an age-appropriate timeline for information.
This bundle is the next step after the Beautiful Girlhood series above. Geared toward girls 13-18, this series helps mothers teach their daughters how to manage a home, life and their spirit. This book is described as a “glorified home economics” class and I have to agree. What a wonderful guide to teach our daughters as they grow not only physically, but spiritually. Whether my daughters marry or not, I believe it is important for them to know how to manage a home as well as live their life for Jesus Christ. This series is a 7-21 week study for young women and their mothers to walk through together. What a WONDERFUL resource to have at your fingertips! If your daughter is in this age range or will be soon, I highly recommend this set!
This bundle comes with 1 book and 2 CDs. This book is a great way for Father’s and daughters to communicate about some of those awkward discussions on purity. It opens the doors of communication as they grow in Christ and seek Him in their possible future relationships. I know my Dad wasn’t always comfortable with the “sensitive” topics, so this bundle is a great place to start.
Shelley at Pumpkin Seeds has graciously offered these THREE Bundles to THREE LUCKY WINNERS!!! All you have to do is enter on the form below. This giveaway ENDS October 13th at 11:59pm EST, so don’t wait!! Enter TODAY!!
This giveaway is in no way sponsored or affiliated with Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram.
The winners will be chosen at random by Giveaway Tools by 9am, Wednesday October 12th and notified no later than 9am Thursday, October 13th. The winners will have 72 hours to respond and claim their prize. If they do not respond, a new winner will be chosen and given 72 hours to respond. This will continue until all 3 prizes have been claimed.
We thought you'd like...
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- Election Building Task Cards - February 12, 2020
- How To Date Your Spouse When You Can’t Get A Sitter - February 11, 2020
- Why Dating Your Spouse Is Important For Your Marriage - February 3, 2020