Speaking life has been the crux of my Christian life and ministry. God was sure to get a hold of me the instant that I gave my life to Christ on this very topic. Why? Because I had a big mouth and sadly most everything that came out of my mouth was either rude or vulgar. God wasted no time in getting to work on my heart in this area – teaching me what I needed to know in order to change my speech to please Him.
Rewind back time to September 1998. I was a junior at Washington State University and had just accepted Jesus as my savior. That day nothing else in the world mattered to me – as that day my life actually made sense for the very first time. I knew with all my being that I had finally found what I had been searching for – that longing in my gut to love and be loved was waiting for me at that altar. And immediately after service and after the prayer counselors talking with me about my decision, I made my way into the church’s bookstore. And what did I see? I saw a tape series (yes tapes, no CD’s haha) from Joyce Meyer entitled, Me & My Big Mouth. As soon as I saw it I knew deep in my heart that I needed desperately to hear the message on this tape series. And so it began, my journey to the ministry that God had burned deep into my spirit: Teaching people the importance of speaking life-giving words.
3 Key Components to Speaking Life
1. If it’s not in God’s Word don’t say it. I know this is easier said than done. I also know that it takes a lot of discipline and patience to get to a place where we speak what God’s Word says rather than what our emotions tell us. But it can be done. Commit yourself to taking this minute-by-minute, day-by-day, and eventually week-by-week and so on. Over time you will see how your speech shifts from speaking about what we see to speaking by faith.
2. Confess Scripture over your areas of weakness. The Bible tells us in Romans 10:17, “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” So while it is important to hear others (ie: pastors, friends, etc) speak God’s Word it is also extremely important to confess it yourself. Not only does this build your faith and make you stronger and less likely to speak words that are not pleasing to God, it also puts your faith into action. You will find that confessing Scripture over areas that you struggle in will make way for real change to take place. Watch God transform your areas of weakness to areas of strength! Here are some free printable scripture confession lists to help get you started.
3. Get an accountability partner. This step is crucial to any type of success we aim to achieve. Having someone other than ourselves to help motivate and encourage us brings a much needed partnership in getting our mouths to line up with God’s Word. My accountability partner all these years has been my husband. We both have a strong call to teach others how to speak God’s life-giving words and as a result started our ministry Learning to Speak Life™. Having a partner to help keep me in line has helped inspire me to do better and better each day.
I hope that these 3 components can help someone who may be struggling speaking God’s Word. I really know that these 3 principles have been instrumental in changing my heart, giving me the ability to model speaking life to my children. While there may be other steps involved along the way, if you start out with these three key components, you will be well on your way to speaking life!
Did you miss a post in our 30 Days of Bible series? Check them all out by clicking the image below.
Carlie Kercheval is a happily married work-at-home homeschooling mom of 3. She is the founder of Today’s Frugal Mom™, Managing Your Blessings™, Fulfilling Your Vows™, and the co-author of the Learning to Speak Life™ family Bible studies. When she is not busy enjoying her family and the great outdoors, you can typically find her cozied up somewhere under a blanket with a good book. You can connect with her on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
Latest posts by Annette Breedlove (see all)
- Learn the History of “Annie” + a Movie & Musical Study - July 19, 2019
- The Perfect Tool for Teaching the Scientific Method with Printable Notebook - July 11, 2019
- The Aristocats Movie Study with Printable Pack - July 3, 2019